XTREMELY LOADED MEAL (1 Cor. 3)
My 1 Corinthians journey continues. I had a great time communicating with the Father earlier. His words in 1 Corinthians 3 are quite heavier and more thought provoking. It addresses a more specific listeners and doers of the Word. But generally, in this passage, God wants to tell me to be more cautious ‘builder’ of the church; that as a builder, a fellow worker with God, I must be very concerned on the QUALITY of the materials I am using in building on the foundation (a sure foundation, which is Christ Jesus). The 1 Corinthians 3 meal serves:
1. Appetizer - Matter of Self-Evaluation (vss 1-4)
Paul gave some clues to define ‘infants in Christ’ - still worldly/fleshy; has a heart of jealousy and would quarrel; still has mentality of division in church (followers of different people)
2. Side Dish - We are fellow workers with God (v.9)
God laid the foundation/cornerstone (sure foundation) of the church, which is JESUS CHRIST. We, the builders of the church, may plant, or water, but it is only God who makes it grow. We should be one in this purpose, and in the end, we’ll reap the reward according to our labor.
3. Main Course - We must be very careful in building up on the foundation (JESUS CHRIST)
Since Jesus Christ is the sure foundation of the church, the builders should build up on it with materials that will reflect its foundation, meaning we should be very concern with the QUALITY of the ‘materials’ we are using in building up. They should be ‘fireproof’ because in the end, every man’s work will be revealed through fire test. God will see whose work will survive.
4. Refreshment - We are God’s temple (vss 16-17)
In each one of us, God builds His temple; we are His temple. What shall we do then?
5. Dessert - The Promise (v 23)
Here’s a promise we can hold on to as we build the church, to the end.
Detailed posts for each meal are available. Just click on the hyperlinks. =) happy eating!!! GOD BLESS YOU GREATLY!
Soli Deo Gloria!
What does it tell about God?
1. God assigned to each builder a task and He gives grace to each builder to accomplish his task (v5, 10)
2. God laid the foundation/cornerstone of the church, which is Jesus Christ (v11)
3. Only God makes the work grow (v6)
4. God is generous to give us reward (v8)
5. God’s temple/God’s Spirit lives in us (v16)
6. God is the head of Christ; Christ is the head of the church (v23)
7. God will reveal each man’s work in the end (v13)
What does it about me?
1. I have an assigned task (v5)
2. I am a fellow builder with God (v9)
3. I should be careful in building up on it (concerning ‘materials’) (v12, 13)
4. I have a reward if my work survives (v14)
5. I am God’s temple (v16)
1. that we may be mature in Christ
2. that we may be faithful to God’s calling, in accomplishing the task He has assigned to each one of us.
3. that God may make His church grow through the works we do in building up the church.
4. that each builder of the church (pastor, leaders, elders, Bible study leaders, Sunday school teachers, etc) shall be well-equipped in building the church, using materials which are appropriate in building on the foundation (Jesus Christ) - materials which are ‘fireproof’ (gold, precious stone, silver - which represent true and solid doctrine, genuine teaching, every teaching anchored to JESUS) and not use materials ready to burn (wood, hay, straw - which represent false teachings and every work which have no eternal value).
5. that we may live as God’s temple
6. that we may uphold God’s promise to us till the end (we are co-heirs with Christ)